Visiting Seattle for a Benevon Workshop?
The Pacific Northwest is a fantastic place to visit, especially in the summer months. If you'd like to go exploring, here are some ideas from current and former staff.
Favorite coffee shop?
- Cafe Umbria - Pioneer Square & Ballard Shawna L.
- Cherry Street Coffee - Belltown Latte! Laura B.
- Cafe Ladro - several locations Suzanne S.
- Caffe Vita - several locations Bianca G.
- Victrola Melissa L.
- Cafe Bambino - Phinney Ridge 16oz Triple Americano, best ever! Michelle Z.
- Zoka Coffee Roaster & Tea Company - Greenlake Coffee with all the fixins! Zoë E.
- Stumptown - several locations Drip coffee—black! Laura M.
Hands down best brunch is:
- 14 Carrot Café (Breakfast & Brunch) - Eastlake Maggie W.
- Cafe Flora: Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurant - Madison Michelle Z.
- Etta's (Casual Pacific NW Eatery) - Pike Place Market Dawn G.
- Kona Kitchen - Maple Leaf Bianca G.
- Oddfellows Café & Bar - Downtown Shawna L.
- Portage Bay Café - Ballard, Roosevelt, South Lake Union, & U District Brian M., Laura B., Megan M.
- Roxy's Diner (NY Jewish Style Deli) - Fremont Sally B.
- Salty's on Alki (Waterfront Seafood Grill) - West Seattle Suzanne S.
- St. Clouds (Pacific Northwest comfort foods) - Madrona Zoë E.
Favorite bite-on-the-go restaurant?
- Chaco Canyon Organic Cafe - Greenwood, U District, & West Seattle Suzanne S.
- El Camion (Authentic Mexican) - several locations Melissa L.
- Enat Ethiopian Restaurant - Pinehurst Zoë E.
- Homegrown Sustainable Sandwich Shop - Fremont Michelle Z.
- Marination (Hawaiian-Korean cuisine) - several locations Bianca G.
- Mr D's Greek Delicacies - Pike Place Market Dawn G.
- Paseo Caribbean Restaurant - Fremont Brian M., Megan M. & Dawn G.
- Piroshky Piroshky Bakery - Pike's Place Market Laura M.
- Roro BBQ - Wallingford Laura B.
- Skillet (Street Food) - locations vary Shawna L.
- Three Girls Bakery - Pike Place Market Maggie W.
- Cafe Presse (French Bar-Café) - Capitol Hill Shawna L.
- Joule (Korean-fusion steakhouse) - Fremont Bianca G.
- Sushi Kashiba - Pike Place Market Suzanne S.
- The Pink Door (Italian-American & Cabaret Lounge) - Pike Place Market Zoë E.
- Cactus (Southwest Kitchen & Bar) - Alki Beach in West Seattle Sally B.
- Maneki (Sushi) - International District Laura M.
- Salumi Artisan Cured Meats - Downtown Brian M.
- Samir’s Mediterranean Grill - U District Dawn G.
- Thai Tom - U District (cash only) Michelle Z.
- Skillet (Street Food) - locations vary Melissa L.
Favorite happy hour?
- Bottle and Bull (Tavern) - Kirkland Sally B.
- Bottlehouse (Tasting Bar & Shoppe) - Madrona Zoë E.
- Elliot's Oyster House has Progressive Oyster Happy Hour - Waterfront Laura M.
- Fogon (Mexican Restaurant & Cantina) - Pike/Pine Melissa L.
- Japonessa (Sushi restaurant with a Latin flare) - Pike Place Market Bianca G.
- Kate's Pub - Wallingford Megan M. & Michelle Z.
- Red Door (Pub) - Fremont Sally B.
- Sazerac Restaurant & Bar - Downtown Brian M.
Favorite local brewery?
- Bartholomew Winery - Industrial District Brian M.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery - Woodinville Bianca G. & Megan M.
- Novelty Hill Januik - Woodinville Maggie W.
- All the Woodinville Wineries Laura M.
- So many independent wineries, check out Woodinville Wine Country Dawn G.
Favorite place to get your sweet-tooth fix?
- Bakery Nouveau - Capital Hill or West Seattle Melissa L.
- Bluebird Ice Cream - Greenwood Michelle Z.
- Cupcake Royale - several locations including Downtown Michelle Z. & Shawna L.
- Daily Dozen Doughnut Company - Pike Place Market Laura M.
- Ellenos Greek Yogurt - Pike Place Market and Whole Foods Bianca G.
- Essential Bakery - Bellevue, Georgetown, Madison, and Wallingford Zoë E.
- Fainting Goat Gelato - Wallingford and Fremont Dawn G.
- Hot Cakes (Molten Chocolate Cakery) - Capital Hill Sally B.
- Le Painier (French Bakery) - Pike Place Market Shawna L.
- Molly Moon's Ice Cream - Wallingford Brian M. & Megan M. (Try the Vegan Coconut Chunk w/ chocolate sauce!)
- Pie A La Mode Bianca G. (They deliver pies!)
- Trophy Cupcakes - Bellevue, Downtown, Wallingford, U District Sally B. & Zoë E.
- Yellow Leaf Cupcakes - Belltown Brian M., Megan M, & Suzanne S.
- DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine - Pike Place Market Shawna L.
- Easy Street Records - West Seattle Dawn G.
- Elliott Bay Book Company Melissa L.
- Fremont has some cute little shops! Zoë E.
- Nordstrom - Downtown Sally B. & Suzanne S.
- Nordstrom Rack - various locations Megan M.
- Seattle Premium Outlets - Tulalip, WA (North) Brian M.
- University Bookstore - U District Shawna L.
- University Village - U District Michelle Z. & Zoë E
- Westlake Center - Downtown Maggie W.
- Burke Museum - U District (on UW campus) Shawna L.
- MoPOP (formerly known as Experience Music Project) in Queen Anne Dawn G.
- Frye Museum - First Hill Melissa L. & Michelle Z.
- MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) - South Lake Union Laura M.
- Seattle Art Museum (SAM) - Downtown Brian M., Megan M., Sally B., Suzanne S., and Sharon E.
- Seattle Asian Art Museum Zoë E.
Must see/do tourist attraction?
- Ballard Locks - Ballard Zoë E.
- Chihuly Garden and Glass - Queen Anne Megan M.
- Greenlake - or any of our amazing parks Shawna L.
- Kerry Park (aka Franklin Place) - Queen Anne Bianca G.
- Kubota Garden - Rainier Beach Melissa L.
- Pike Place Market - Downtown Laura B. & Michelle Z.
- Seattle Great Wheel - Waterfront (Downtown) Suzanne S.
- Space Needle - Queen Anne Sally B.
- Take the Underground Tour - Pioneer Square. It's a great way to learn about Seattle's history! Laura M. & Brian M.
- Woodland Park Zoo - Phinney Ridge Dawn G.
What would you do if you have two free hours in downtown Seattle?
- Get doughnuts at Pike Place Market and walk along the waterfront before going to the Nordstrom Rack Zoë E.
- Explore Pike Place Market and buy a bouquet of flowers Bianca G. & Sally B.
- Walk the waterfront, ride the Great Wheel, and walk up the stairs to Pike Place Market Brian M.
- Wander around Pioneer Square Melissa L.
- Go to the Seattle Aquarium and get fish & chips from Ivar's Pier 54 Fish Bar Dawn G.
- If it's a nice day, I'd wander through the Olympic Sculpture Park at the SAM (Seattle Art Museum) Michelle Z.
- Go on the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square Laura B.
- Buy tea at Market Spice, browse books at Barnes & Noble, and finish up by shopping at Nordstrom Rack Shawna L.
- Go to Pike Place Market, find the perfect bouquet of flowers, and then go to the World Spice Market Megan M.
- Seattle skyline from Alki Beach - West Seattle Sally B., Laura B., & Suzanne S.
- On the Bainbridge Island ferry when Mount Rainier is out! Michelle Z.
- Denny Blaine Park Zoë E.
- Discovery Park - Magnolia Dawn G.
- Gasworks - Wallingford Maggie W.
- Kerry Park (aka Franklin Place) - Queen Anne Megan M. & Bianca G.
- From the top of Mount Rainier Brian M.
- From the top of the Space Needle Shawna L.
Favorite day trip?
- Anacortes via Deception Pass Melissa L.
- Ride a ferry to Bainbridge Island Shawna L.
- Leavenworth, WA (Central WA) Sally B.
- Mt. Vernon and La Conner area Megan M.
- Olympia - hiking in the Capital State Forest or exploring downtown Olympia Bianca G.
- Hiking in the North Cascades, Johnson Ridge Michelle Z.
- Take a ferry through the San Juan Islands Laura B.
- Drive to Anacortes via Deception Pass and take a ferry through the San Juan Islands Dawn G.
- Take ferry trip across the Sound Brian M.
- Riding bikes to Woodinville and having a beer at Red Hook or wine tasting at Chateau Ste Michelle Laura M.
Favorite outdoor activities?
- Biking at Alki Beach Park Bianca G.
- Birding at Discovery Park Melissa L.
- Hiking at Franklin Falls Maggie W.
- Paddle boarding from east side of Lake Washington - Kirkland Dawn G.
- Camping in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest (Mount Saint Helens) Laura B.
- Walking around & hanging out at Green Lake Zoë E. & Megan M.
- Pedal boating at Greenlake Suzanne S.
- Checking out parks like Volunteer Park Laura M.
- Going on long walks—Seattle is very walkable Shawna L.
- Adventure along Johnson Ridge in the rugged North Cascades for 360 degree mountain views! Michelle Z.
- Get up close & personal with Washington’s tallest, dormant volcanic mountain on the Lakes Trail at Mount Rainier National Park Michelle Z.
- Experience the Pacific Ocean at Point of Arches on Shi Shi Beach Michelle Z.
- Hike Rattlesnake Ledge Brian M.
- On a clear day, hike Mount Rainier from Silver Peak near Snoqualmie Pass Michelle Z.
Favorite thing to do on Bainbridge Island?
- Wine tasting, then the Harbour Public House for fish & chips Megan M.
- Get ice cream at Mora Iced Creamery! Maggie W. & Melissa L.
- Get salt water taffy at Town & Country Market! Michelle Z.
- Go hiking on any of the Bainbridge Island Trails, especially the Manzanita Park Trail System Zoë E.
- Go to Eagle Harbor Books--they have both new and used stores! Shawna L.
- Wine tasting! Sally B.
- Ride bikes onto the ferry and ride around the island Laura M.
- Ride the ferry on the way there! Dawn G.
Favorite weekend get-a-away?
- Camping in the Cascades! Laura M.
- The mountains! Always! North, East, South or West, they're in every direction! Michelle Z.
- Lake Chelan, WA Maggie W.
- Leavenworth, WA (Central WA) Laura B.
- Leavenworth, WA - river tubing! (Central WA) Bianca G.
- Olympic National Park (Olympic Peninsula) Shawna L.
- Drive the Olympic Peninsula Dawn G.
- Portland, OR (South) Megan M.
- Port Angeles, WA (Olympic Peninsula) Suzanne S.
- Port Townsend, WA (Olympic Peninsula) Melissa L.
- San Juan Islands, WA (North WA) Brian M.
- Victoria, B.C. Canada (North) Sally B.
"As a person who has frequently been on the receiving end of requests that clearly had a guilt-driven, quick-kill feel to them, I left this seminar convinced that Benevon's emphasis on relationship building, and what I would call the 'individualization of the donor' in order to establish a long-term donor relationship with an institution whose mission the donor has bought into, is the correct and most productive way to go.”
Michael Albritton, Board Member
Baton Rouge General Foundation
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
"Thanks for taking our fundraising to a new level: a change in our entire culture, a true cultural shift."
Terry Lents, Board of Directors
Child Crisis Arizona
"The Benevon Model adds structure and discipline to fundraising, removing the fear of asking people for money."
Tomás Mishler, CEO and President
Balboa Park Conservancy
San Diego, California